Female convicts began arriving in Van Diemen's Land (VDL) in 1803 with Lieutenant Bowen's party. However, the first transport to arrive with female convicts directly from the United Kingdom, the Morley, did not arrive in Hobart until 29 August 1820.

It was about this time that some female convicts started being housed in convict institutions. The last female convicts transported to Australia arrived at Hobart on the Duchess of Northumberland on 21 April 1853.

 

1803

 Aug

Two female convicts arrive in VDL with Lieutenant Bowen's party to Risdon Cove: one was Mary Lawler

1804

 Nov

Female convicts arrive in VDL with Lieutenant-Colonel Paterson's party to Port Dalrymple, including Ann Simmonds

1805

 Apr

Female convicts transported to Sydney on the Experiment arrive in VDL on the Sophia

1810

 

23 female convicts in VDL (population 1321)

1813

 

200 female convicts arrive from Sydney on the Kangaroo

1814

 

Nearly 60 female Irish convicts transported to Sydney on the Catherine arrive in VDL on the Kangaroo

1818

 

Lieutenant-Governor Sorell proposes building a female factory at Pittwater; Governor Macquarie refuses; suggests recalcitrant female convicts to be sent to Parramatta Female Factory (when built)

1820

 

The first female convict transport, Morley, arrives at Hobart directly from the United Kingdom

   

Lieutenant-Governor Sorell again proposes building a female factory at Hobart

   

Commissioner Bigge investigates the state of the colonies

pre-1821

 

Refractory female convicts held in a single room at the Hobart Town Gaol on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Streets

1821

 

Hobart Town Female Factory built in Hobart Town Gaol precinct, separated from the Gaol by a brick wall

   

Parramatta Female Factory in New South Wales completed

1822

 

George Town Female Factory begins operation in a lumber yard

1823

 

Elizabeth Fry proposes a new Female Factory be built in Hobart

1824

 

Lowes Rum Distillery built at Cascades

1826

 

Investigation into conditions at Hobart Town Female Factory

1827

 

Colonial Government purchases Cascades site from Lowes Rum Distillery for £2760

1828

Dec

Conversions to Lowes Rum Distillery completed and female convicts transferred to Cascades Female Factory from Hobart Town Female Factory

 

 

Kings/Queen's Orphanage begins operation

1829

Jan

Last of the 100 female convicts transferred from Hobart Town Female Factory to Cascades Female Factory

 

Jan

Rules and Regulations for the Management of the House of Correction for Females at the Factory promulgated by Governor Arthur

 

Feb

Riot at the Cascades Female Factory

 

Feb

Hobart Town Female Factory converted to a bond store

1834

 

George Town Female Factory closes

   

Launceston Female Factory opens

1837

 

Molesworth Committee of Enquiry set up

1838

 

Cascades Nursery relocated from Cascades Female Factory to a small house in Liverpool Street, Hobart; Mrs Slee matron

1840

 

The Flash Mob gains notoriety in the press

1841

 

Board appointed to enquire into and make suggestions about female convict disicipline

1842

 

Brickfields Hiring Depot opens in New Town for assignable female convicts

   

Riot at Cascades Female Factory

   

Liverpool Street Nursery relocated to Dynnyrne House

1843

 

House in Liverpool Street,  Hobart used as a hiring depot

   

Report of the Committee of Inquiry into Female Convict Discipline received

   

Contagious fever epidemic at Liverpool St Hiring Depot; female convicts removed to Colonial Hospital, Hobart

   

Probation system for female convicts instituted; Bowdens appointed

1844

 

Probation system begins; Anson Probation Station beings operation with Bowdens in charge

1847

 

New regulations regarding the hiring of male and female passholders

1848

 

Ross Female Factory opens

1849

Jan

Lord Grey gives instructions for the Anson Probation Station to be broken up
 

Jul

Anson brought down from Prince of Wales Bay to Hobart Town with female convicts on board

1850

 

New Town Farm opens as a temporary Probation Station for receiving female convicts on arrival

   

Nursery returns from Dynnyrne House to Cascades Female Factory, Yard 4

1851

 

Anson Probation Station dismantled

   

New regulations for Cascades Female Factory issued

1852

 

Female convicts with children removed from Cascades Female Factory to New Town Farm

   

Nursery relocated from Cascades Female Factory to Brickfields

   

Brickfields Hiring Depot closes; female convicts to be hired from Cascades Female Factory

1853

 

The last female convict transport to Australia, the Duchess of Northumberland, arrives at Hobart

1854

 

Nursery returns from Brickfields to Cascades Female Factory

 

Nov

Ross Female Factory closes

1855

 

Nursery relocated from Cascades Female Factory to the Infirmary in Liverpool Street, Hobart

   

Launceston Female Factory proclaimed a gaol and transferred to the local authorities (Sheriff's Department)

   

Port Arthur Invalid Depot for men begins operation

1856

 

Van Diemen's Land becomes officially known as Tasmania

   

Cascades Female Factory proclaimed a gaol and transferred to the local authorities (Sheriffi's Department)

1859

 

Brickfields Invalid Depot begins operation for men

1865

 

Girls Industrial School begins operation

   

Boarded Out System for fostering children begins

1868

 

Launceston Invalid Depot beings operation for both men and women on the site of the old Military Barracks

1869

 

Cascades Invalid Depot, for men and women, begins operation on part of the site of Cascades Female Factory

   

Boys Industrial School (Kennerley Boys Home) begins operation

   

Boys Training School (Boys Reformatory) begins operation

1874

 

Cascades Invalid Depot stops accommodating women who are moved to the New Town Charitable Instiution

1877

 

Cascades Gaol closes and inmates moved to Campbell Street Gaol

   

Port Arthur Invalid Depot closes

1879

 

Cascades Invalid Depot closes, the remaining men are moved to the New Town Charitable Institution

   

Kings/Queens Orphanage closes

   

St Joseph's Orphanage begins operation

1881

 

Girls Training School (Girls Reformatory) begins operation

1882

 

Brickfields Invalid Depot closes

1895

 

Launceston Invalid Depot becomes the Launceston Benevolent Asylum for both men and women

1898

 

Girls Training School (Girls Reformatory) closes

1915

 

Launceston Benevolent Asylum closes

1945

 

Girls Industrial School closes

1980

 

St Joseph's Orphanage closes