We are proud to announce that – finally – all four of Rowan Gillespie’s From the Shadows statues have been installed and unveiled.
Our first female convict statue was installed in Degraves Street outside the Cascades Female Factory in February 2021. The second was recently installed inside the Cascades Female Factory near the new History and Interpretation Centre, and the two Orphan School Children at 85 Creek Road, New Town.
On 27 February 2022, Her Excellency Barbara Baker AC, Governor of Tasmania, unveiled all three statues with the assistance of Irish sculptor Rowan Gillespie and the statue models. We were honoured to have His Excellency, Ambassador Tim Mawe, Irish Ambassador to Australia, and Ms Patricia McCarthy, present at the events. Ambassador Mawe conveyed a message to both gatherings from the President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins.
From the Shadows wishes to thank all sponsors, donors and supporters for their overwhelming generosity in helping bring our project to fruition.
Dr Dianne Snowden AM,
From The Shadows Committee and Rowan Gillespie at the Launch February 27, 2020.
- Transcribing Tasmanian Convict Records by Susan Hood 21-01-2021
- The Morley's arrival in Hobart Town 200 years ago. 18-09-2020
- The Local Historian. Journal of the British Association of Local History 18-09-2020
- The baskets of Isabella Hutchinson. 29-10-2020
- Special Recognition for FCRC Committee Members 19-05-2021
- Scottish Genealogy Research 18-09-2020
- Paupers and York Poor Law Union, 1837-42 08-10-2020
- Our Criminal Ancestors 18-09-2020
- Norah Cobbett's story marks Fifty great Female Convict Stories from Don. 01-03-2021
- Liverpool & South West Lancashire Family History Society 18-09-2020
- From the Shadows: Installation of their first statue, 'Martha Gregory'. 22-02-2021
- Family and Community Historical Research Society 23-09-2020
- Convict women who called Cascades Female Factory home lived 'cold and bleak' life 18-09-2020
- Clements Hall Local History Group 18-09-2020
- 200 year anniversary of arrival of the Providence in Hobart Town 28-11-2021