The first physical watchhouse for Tasmania occurred when a dedicated building was erected to add to the military guardhouse. In the ‘new’ building offenders of both genders who had been arrested by the watchmen were locked up until they went before the magistrate. After which they could remain in the watchhouse if they were ordered by the Magistrate to serve short periods of punishment in the cell, or cells depending on the scale of the watchhouse.[1]

 

On the occasion of His Royal Highness the PRINCE REGENT'S Birth Day, His Honor the Lieutenant GOVERNOR was humanely pleased to liberate seven Prisoners under sentence in the Gaol Gang for various periods; and one female prisoner (wearing an iron-collar) confined in the Watch House. The Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter, Saturday 17 August 1816 - Page 1

 

[1] T. Newman, Nightwatch and Watchhouses, Janurary 2022.

 

Read more: Watchhouses

 

 

 


Please acknowledge our work, should you choose to use our research.  Our work may be subject to copyright therefore please check our Copyright Policy, and Disclaimer policy.

For academic referencing (suggestion only) Database: [http address], FCRC Female Convicts in Van Diemen’s Land database, entry for xxxx ID no xxx, accessed [date].

For academic referencing (suggestion only) Website:  Female Convicts Research Centre Inc., accessed [date] from [http address].