A hospital was built at New Norfolk in 1829. From 1833 until 200-2001, it operated as a hospital for those who were mentally ill. The principal name changes, dated as accurately as possible, are as follows: Lunatic Asylum, New Norfolk;, 1829-1859; Hospital for the Insane, New Norfolk, 1859-1915; Mental Diseases Hospital, New Norfolk, 1915-1937; Lachlan Park Hospital, 1937-1968; and Royal Derwent Hospital, 1968-2001.
A number of female convicts were admitted to the New Norfolk Asylum for the Insane, either under sentence or when they were emancipated. Several died there.
The Asylum site is now commonly referred to as Willow Court. This was the name of a program for those with an intellectual disability which was provided from the Royal Derwent Hospital site. Willow Court was closed in November 2000.
Hospital for the Insane, New Norfolk.
Source: Tasmanian Archives
Convict Lives: Female Convicts at the New Norfolk Asylum. Published by Convict Women's Press, May 2021.
Susan Piddock A Space of their Own : Archaeology of Nineteenth Century Lunatic Asylums in Britain, South Australia, and Tasmania
Susan Piddock A Space of Their Own: Nineteenth Century Lunatic Asylums in England, South Australia and Tasmania. Flinders University of South Australia. Doctoral Thesis submitted to Flinders University, South Australia 2003.