Research seminars, now held yearly, are open to all members and to the general public.
Save the date:
FCRC Seminar: Sunday, 7th May, 2023
Topic: Transported for Life
Call for papers now open.
Forthcoming Seminar: Transported for life
Call for papers now open
Date : Sunday, 7 May 2023.
Venue: To be confirmed
Just over 780 female convicts sent to Van Diemen’s Land were sentenced to transportation for life. Our next Female Convicts Research Centre seminar will focus on these women.
Possible topics may include :
- sentencing of women generally with particular emphasis on life sentences
- who were the women sentenced to life? - what became of them in the colony and what was the impact of the sentence on their lives?
- women whose death sentences were commuted to life
- why some women received life sentences and others much lighter sentences for the same crime
- the role of petitions in determining sentences
- influences on judges and magistrates when sentencing women to life
If you would like to present a 20-minute paper at the seminar, please forward an abstract for consideration to email@example.com by 17 October 2022. The abstract should outline your intended topic, the points you will highlight and the sources you will be using to inform your paper.
Dianne Snowden, President
Jane Hofto, Seminar Organising Committee
Past Seminar Programs
- 2022: Young female convicts in Van Diemen’s Land
- 2021: The Early Years, 1803-1828
- Spring 2019: Convict Women at the New Norfolk Asylum
- Autumn 2019: The Anson and the Probation System
- Spring 2018: A Great Blessing? Convict Women and Orphan School Children
- Spring 2017: Tales of the Unexpected
- Autumn 2018: The Hobart Town Female Factory and the move to the Cascades, 1828
- Autumn 2017 - Convict Motherhood
- Spring 2016 - Prologue: women's lives before transportation
- Autumn 2016: Riot, repression and reform: the Cascades Female Factory
- Spring 2015: What the convict women brought with them—and what they left behind
- Autumn 2015: Succeeding in the regular economy: the aftermath of convict sentences
- Spring 2014: Crime and Crime Families: relocation and reconnection
- Autumn 2014: Voyages of Female Convict Ships
- Spring 2013: From the Edges of the Empire: female convicts born or tried outside the British Isles
- Autumn 2013: Resilience?
- Spring 2012: Women in a Man's World
- Autumn 2012: The Working Lives of Convict Women
- Spring 2011: Journeys: A Seminar
- Autumn 2011: The Orphan Schools of Van Diemen's Land
Spring 2010: Populating the Ross Female Factory
Autumn 2010: Female Factories: Who worked there and why?
Referencing suggestion for seminar papers:
[Author], '[Title of paper'], unpublished paper presented at FCRC Seminar, [seminar date].
or if published:
[Author], ['Title of paper'], paper presented at FCRC Seminar, [seminar date], http://femaleconvicts.org.au/index.php/fcrc-seminars/research-seminars.