The Female Convicts Research Centre promotes interest in the female convicts of Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania), by encouraging and facilitating research.
From 1803 to 1853, 13,500 female convicts were transported to Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania), as punishment for crimes, mainly theft. After serving their sentences they were released into the community. Their transportation left a lasting legacy. The Female Convicts Research Centre encourages research into these female convicts, mainly through its database, website and seminars.
When you register with the FCRC, you gain access to our database where you will find information entered by our volunteers as we attempt to reconstruct the life course of each female convict.
FCRC Seminar 2023
Presented in partnership with the School of Humanities, University of Tasmania
Date: Sunday, 7th May 2023
Transported for Life: a lottery?
Just over 780 female convicts sent to Van Diemen’s Land were sentenced to transportation for life. Our next Female Convicts Research Centre seminar will focus on these women.
Registration will open early February 2023.
Venue to be confirmed.
Program is now available.
Save The Date:
FCRC Seminar Sunday 7th May, 2023. Topic: Transported for Life: a lottery?
View all Blog Posts
- BLINKHORN Lydia (Elizabeth and Henry, 1844) by Helen Ménard.
- GALLOWAY, Frances (Baretto Junior, 1850), by CJ Eddington
- DAVERRON, Nell (Providence, 1821) by Helen Ménard
- BARRY, Catherine (St Vincent, 1850) by Helen Ménard
- DEVEREUX, Mary (The Younger) (Mary, 1831) by Helen Ménard
- McBRIDE, Elisabeth Campbell (Elizabeth and Henry, 1846) by CJ Eddington.
- NORMAN, Margaret (Providence II, 1826) by Don Bradmore and Jan Humphreys
- DOWNEY, Catherine Jane (Mexborough, 1841) by Don Bradmore
- GRAYSON, Mary Ann (Edward 1834) by Rae Blair
- JOHNSTON Janet (Hector, 1835), by Helen Ménard
View all Convict Stories
Convict Image Gallery - Mary Walsh (Earl Grey, 1850); Agnes Turley (Townsend) per Cadet 1848. (17/08/2022)
Books, Theses & Reports - Tasmania v British Empire by Alison Alexander (updated 15/07/2022)
Justice System - An updated web page, replacing the 'Magistrates' page, expanding on the justice system in Van Dieman's Land as it operated during the convict era. (2/06/2022).
Probation System - Overview and Timeline (contributed by Helen Menard, 20/05/2022).
Seminar Papers - 2021: The Early Years, 1803-1828 most papers are now available along with audio recordings (please contact us for access to audio).